Thursday 6 September 2012

Top 10 things I love in video games


Just to show that my view on video games aren't negative I'm writing one on the things I love about video games in contrast to my earlier post on things I hate in video games. So let's begin.

Cartoon Like Style

There's times where I still feel like a child and that's one of the reasons why I love cartoon like art styles, most of the time cartoony games manage to show alot more emotion and life, than realistic ones.



Creativity

Everybody loves creativity in a game, be it character creation, car customization or so on it's brilliant, you can make your character look like you and you'd have the feeling you're there in the game, making stuff in games can give you a great sense of accomplishment that players never get tired of. Do they?



Easter Eggs

Who doesn't love Easter eggs, it's a chocolaty ticket to diabetes ... oh wait not that kind. I love these in video games it's like a reward for the players who can find it (whether or not you used YouTube or Google). One example is Crash Bandicoot 2, all my childhood there was things in it I didn't question "Why is this room full of Nitro" for example, everyone will remember that feeling the got when they found a Easter egg like the Nitro room, turned out the wall at the back of the room didn't have a collider and it had another room behind it. They're so good aren't they.

Childhood + finding the secret warp room = mind blown


Morale Moments

I love these bit's in games, you know where it's a case of you can kill the person or let them live, I love them it just adds alot of adrenaline and can create a strong sense of guilt, justice and other emotions depending on you choice, I especially love the ones where it makes you loath and despise a character for so long then when you get to kill them you realize, you don't have to, part of you does still want them dead but another part feels sorry for them and wants them to live, these are moments in games that stand out and I remember them clearly, long after I've turned the console off.

BioShock 2, you were brilliant at this.
 

Music

No I'm not talking about Guitar Hero or anything like that. No I'm talking about game music, music in games can be amazing, my favorite's mainly come from the Sega and PS1 generation as the heavy use synthesizers worked wonder to the ears, sure the PS2 had some good soundtracks like the Silent Hill franchise but it seems to be a dying art now as less and less games have music in them or they do but they class music as banging noises, screeching and other random and eventually annoying noises. Music is a work or art. Simple.

Faith in PS3 music, restored



Speed

Speed is really cool in gaming it's amazing to see your character race by opponents and scenery, which is why the Sonic games are brilliant. Speed just makes everything better -not the drug- (yes I'm aware of the awful joke). 

The boosting in new Sonic games make it that much better.


Story

Let's face it we've all played a game -or a bunch- where the story in the game is way better than half the crap that Hollywood calls "movie plots" a game without a story is ... well the majority of the 90s games, games need to have stories now, it adds a layer to the game that players can immerse themselves in and feel compelled towards the characters own goals, such great game story lines such as Final Fantasy X  proves that a game can have a really emotional ending and it's not just movies that can make us cry.



Stylized Violence

I don't care if the game fights aren't realistic or if they're over the top, as long as it looks cool then that's fine by me, I love stylized violence, maybe it's because of the choreography, maybe because of the acrobatics, at the end of the day I'm not sure exactly what it is I like about it but hey, it's still pretty bad ass.



Superiority

I love it when games have the enemies really weak yet having alot of them on the screen, I do like stronger enemies to be in with the mixture from time to time too, but I love the feeling of superiority I get when I create a path of destruction with the enemies lying everywhere, it just makes you feel so much stronger.



Trophies

Okay not everybody like trophies or achievements but I love them, once I complete a game I look at all the trophies for that game that I missed, and I re-play the game to try and get as many as I can get, this adds replay value to my games and it also acts like challenges that the game presents us with, kinda of like bonus missions.

That felling you get when you get the platinum.


1 comment:

  1. This is true, just because its cartoony doesn't mean its bad or child like because at one point we all liked it, and to be honest that ok. music and speed are fine as well. Speed makes you feel like your doing something great rather than just walking all slow like, the music also helps with keeping you entertained with the game even thought some people might argue with you.
    Thanks for sharing and I hope to hear more from you :D
    -The ScareCrow Pixel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.